Anaerobic Digestion & Industrial Wastewater
Azura is seeking a Project Engineer who wants to make an impact. We are looking for someone with a growth mindset, who invests in themselves, and who wants to play a key role in the future of our business.
You are curious, innovative, and enterprising. Comfortable presenting to others and meeting new people, your initiative, inquisitiveness, and intrapreneurial nature are combined with a desire to be more than just a cog in an engineering machine.
Your ability to deeply listen to clients, perform excellent technical work, and write exemplary technical documents are what really set you apart.
You are comfortable working with incomplete information, thrive in a dynamic environment with changing client priorities, and changing approaches as more information becomes available. Being motivated to do excellent work, your ability to contribute great ideas, eagerness to earn clients’ trust, and business sensibilities rounds out your personality.
Why Choose Azura
At Azura you’ll get an opportunity not possible anywhere else. You’ll learn faster and be stretched more. You then have the chance to profit from your hard work by taking a leadership role in the company, and reaping the rewards that come with that role.
We do things differently than most consultants. Read on…
Technical Project Work
In the beginning, this position will primarily be client-facing technical work. You will be completing technical projects for existing clients and working with the team to develop new clients and new business opportunities.
The portion of our business that is project-based varies from month to month based on client needs.
Some weeks, like when we are providing critical litigation support it can be 150% technical work, yes, evenings, weekends, and holidays too.
- Waste and wastewater characterization, bench and pilot-scale treatability evaluations, mass balance calculations and process analysis & design.
- Technical analysis and calculations for anaerobic digestion, aerobic treatment, and physico-chemical industrial wastewater treatment systems.
- Techno-economic evaluation of alternate treatment technologies.
- Preparing financial models and business planning documents.
- Technical writing and communication of our findings on technical topics, alternate solutions, and the implications of each related to the client’s business.
- Research into innovative technologies and approaches and then assessing their business impacts.
- Project management and oversight of lab testing and subcontractors.
- Coordination of team and contractor activities.
Other weeks, we may be focused on internal development projects, research, training, marketing, business development, and sales–only doing 10% client-facing technical work.
Marketing, Business Development, and Sales
You will be coached as you learn the complete business sales cycle from marketing through business development all the way to proposal writing and closing new client engagements. You will see it all–participate in customer discovery meetings and write client proposals. This is where you get to influence the type of work we pursue, what do you want to do? You will be expected to contribute to our business success by:
- Adding to Azura’s corporate profile through active participation in professional and technical associations and committees.
- Preparing, researching, and writing case studies, technical notes, and white-papers.
- Developing business relationships across a range of client sectors.
- Helping with everything from our social media channels all the way through to telephoning new prospects and booking site visits to meet new prospects in person.
- Maintain existing client relationships and develop new client relationships.
- Prepare logical and well thought-out strategies to resolve client issues, identify uncertainties and risk, and formulate plans to get the information needed to reduce those risks.
- Write proposals and engineering budgets for Azura’s client work
Research and Development
Azura participates in various research activities to discover and support innovative solutions to our clients’ challenges and further our own business objectives. Our proprietary approach to solving client issues is a competitive advantage at Azura.
We add to our competitiveness by creating knowledge, harvesting lessons learned in the field, and continuously improving how we deliver services.
Moving beyond the standard billable-hours business model, at Azura we have the freedom to develop and innovate solutions that make good business sense for everyone involved. We have several proprietary business projects in development right now to solve our clients’ outstanding business problems.
We’re small and lean—from HR to IT, IP protection, and how to work on legal matters, you’ll learn everything about running a niche consulting practice.
And yes, even some aspects most staff usually never get to see—you will see project budgets, client invoices, and how the money comes in. You will see payroll and vendor invoices and where the money goes.
Joining an ‘established startup’ means you will have the opportunity to work on a wide variety of projects and have regular access to both coaches and mentors. Your growth potential is limitless. Being small means we all wear multiple hats, and we expect that you will bring the same “team first” mindset that has been critical to our cumulative success.
Attitudes to Succeed
- Initiative, innovativeness, inquisitiveness, and integrity.
- Customer oriented attitude and motivation with high energy and an engaging level of enthusiasm.
- Fast, independent learner requiring limited supervision.
- High level of self-awareness and humility, with excitement about learning from new situations and new challenges.
- Intellectual agility, superb analytical skills.
- Intrapreneurial spirit, flexibility, comfortable with risk, and the unknown
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in related engineering field required (advanced degree preferred).
- Qualified for P.Eng. professional registration.
- Sound reasoning ability, strong desire to acquire new knowledge and skills.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, including empathy, intuition, and listening.
- Time management and organizational skills to succeed at multiple projects, delivering on time while meeting or exceeding client expectations.
- Understanding of environmental and regulatory drivers for clients and projects.
- Technical skills with the ability to articulate ideas and concepts both visually and contextually are required.
- Knowledge or interest in sales principles, methods, practices, and techniques;
- Those candidates with an interest in obtaining an equity position at Azura must clearly demonstrate a keen understanding and successful application of business development, management, and corporate ethics in addition to technical skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- You must be comfortable in the use of computational software, advanced modelling tools such as GPS-X or BioWin an asset.
- French or other second language skill an asset.
Other Things You Should Know
Compensation and Benefits
We’re not like most engineering consultants. We do not track weekly utilization rates or use accounting sleight-of-hand to mask how the company is doing financially. We keep clients happy and run a profitable business–it really is that simple.
Our compensation strategy is based on a standard base salary and very generous incentive bonus up to 50% of base salary depending on company and personal performance. Because you can see client cheques coming in, and vendor invoices getting paid, you will quickly know how well the company is doing.
We’re small and don’t have group medical, dental, or vision insurance coverage. One of your admin tasks will be to investigate the cost of small-business group benefit programs.
Paid time off is accrued starting at 10 stat holidays and 10 vacation days a year for junior staff and ramping up for senior staff. We also offer 6 paid sick days per year.
Flexible Work Hours and Remote Working Options
Azura is returning to a mostly in-person work environment when possible. This approach is to maximize collaboration, learning, and mentoring opportunities for you.
We oﬀer a variety of ﬂexible work options, based around core in-person business hours, to help balance the competing demands of work and personal life.
Must Have Details
Applicants must be permanently eligible to work in Canada. Proof of eligibility may come in the form of a certified copy of a birth certificate, citizenship certificate, or certificate of permanent residence.
This position requires the ability to work evening and weekends when needed to hit client deadlines. None of us love working late nights or all weekend, but it is needed sometimes and on some client engagements.
To be considered for this position, you must be legally and cheerfully able to visit locations across North America without special visa requirements. Overnight travel may be up to 10% of the time depending on the location of client sites. Overnight travel usually occurs as trips lasting 2-days to 2-weeks in duration. Some months there is almost no travel, other months may be 50%.
Candidates must possess a valid drivers license, have access to a reliable vehicle, be comfortable driving a company pickup truck, and have a satisfactory driving record for insurance and business travel.
Project work usually takes us to industrial client sites with the potential for exposure to inclement weather, industrial noise, food allergens, and chemical and biological materials. Industrial environments also include the potential for exposure to extreme heat, cold, moisture, or dryness.
The job can be physically demanding at times requiring lifting equipment or materials of more than 20 kg, the ability to climb stairs and ladders, sitting or standing for extended periods of time, and use of all required personal protective equipment.
Some client engagements require staff to pass a drug test.
Diversity is good business. Regardless of your path or situation, we just want the very best team members.
Azura supports a culture of diversity and accessibility, regardless of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, religion, gender identity, gender expression, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, record of offences, marital status, family status or disability.
We aim to make the application and interview process accommodating for all qualified applicants. If any accommodations would enable or enhance your consideration, please contact Lila White at LW2489@azuraassociates.com.
Safety is our top priority and maintaining a healthy team is critical to us and our shared business.
Azura has instituted recommended safe work practices, personal protective equipment, and physical distancing for staff, minimizing on-site time where possible to reduce contact risk and support safe commuting to and from work.
Most of Azura’s clients provide essential services, and as such they continue to need our help to support their business operations. We are continuing to support these essential services, and, if necessary, travel to client sites when virtual meetings are not enough.
What is the Azura Employment Process?
- Research Azura the way we research prospective clients. Start with Azura here on https://AzuraAssociates.com/ and on LinkedIn. Read through these position Details closely to get more of the fine points.
- If you see yourself thriving with us, please email your resume and cover letter (in pdf format only), in confidence, about the key points you found interesting on the Azura website and your top three questions that would help you know if this position is a great fit for you. We’re at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Selected candidates will begin with a short telephone interview; these will start immediately.
- The top 10 candidates will be asked to take our “Profiles International” assessment; we pay the testing fee. Because teamwork, great communication, and a fun, “can do” work environment are important to us, we’re investing to make sure you will love working with us too. Please note we will share this link with you.
- If you end up as one of the top five candidates, you will have a video interview with Dave Ellis, have an opportunity to get answers to your questions, and afterwards you will be given a short assignment to showcase what you can do.
- Once the assignment is reviewed by the Azura Selection Team the final two candidates will have a second interview with Dave and member of the selection team. At this interview you’ll get a chance to make a final presentation and the overall winner will be presented with an offer of employment.
- All of this will be completed by mid-July!
We embrace a human-centered workplace, we appreciate the time and effort candidates put into preparing a cover letter and resume for us. We respect all candidates and will do our best to contact those people who are not selected for interviews as those decisions are made.
As a small firm, focused on meeting our client needs, we do not have the capacity to respond to phone calls inquiring about employment. Please do not telephone. Thank you.
Notice to Third Party Agencies
Azura does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement and approved engagement request, Azura reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.